Tuesday, February 9, 2016

1/25 - 2/8/16 Maggie!....and Transferred!

"Been slacking these past few weeks, but man how awesome and busy these past couple weeks have been! A few weeks ago we received a referral from church headquarters! We got the number and name, Maggie, and gave her a call and set up a time to meet with her! Maggie is a lady in her mid 50's who just recently moved to Dana Point! She has just a few years ago lost her husband, and she has been finding a lot of comfort in the Bible. Her friend at work is Mormon, and recommended that she meet with us to learn what we teach concerning her late husband and how she can learn more about Christ! We taught her the Plan of Salvation, along with what we are blessed to be able to do in the Temples. She was so grateful and the spirit was so powerful in our first meeting! We continued to meet with her and she started reading the Book of Mormon and she committed to be baptized this month, February 20th!! She is an amazing person. She has felt so alone lately, but as soon as we introduced her to the ward, they took her in as one of there own right away. You could see the happiness beaming from her and her testimony is growing and growing. This past week, I learned I was being transferred out of the area. When I told Maggie, she was so very sad, as was I; but her fellowshippers and friends in the ward are their for her, and I know she will have all the help she needs as she prepares for the 20th! Its been amazing seeing the change in her, as I have felt that in myself when I began reading and praying about the Book of Mormon. She told me concerning her baptism that she didnt know if she was ready. She felt she needed to learn more, become versed in the scriptures, and understand it all first. I was able to bear my testimony to her that baptism is just the gate on the path, and that Heavenly Father does not expect us to be perfect and completely knowledgeable about it all..He just wants us to act in faith on the things we know to be true. She thought about that for a second, prayed about it, and came back with the answer that she knows its true and therefor must be baptized! So I will be seeing her this month on the 20th!


This is now only my third transfer and I am now done with my 12 weeks of training! I have now been transferred out of Dana Point to the great land of Mission Viejo, in an area called Las Flores! My companion is Elder Johnson, and both of us have been called to be Co-District Leaders together. Its exciting, humbling, and a little bit nerve wrecking but my companion has been out almost a year and he is a great example for me to follow! Our area is about half the size of Dana Point, which is different, but the work here is so busy and we have some great investigators!

Every first Sunday the California Irvine Mission puts on a Temple Music Devotional at the Newport Beach Temple and we were able to go to it this past Sunday. Maggie was on her way and was going to meet us and the Dana Point Elders (who are continuing to teach her) and of course, opposition hit. Her car broke down on the way! She didnt make it to the night which was a bummer but she got help with her car and got home safe and sound which is good. Of course, there must be opposition in all things... but dang, awful timing haha!


Something that is really standing out to me these past few weeks that have made a huge impact on my work and all around happiness has been the small and simple things! Our Heavenly Father loves us all so much and continually wishes to blesses us countless times during our day. All we have to do is wake up and notice them! I have noticed that as I consciously am obedient and follow the commandments and do the little things that matter, I feel and notice the spirit more in my life and find opportunities to serve and help bless others! I mess up at this all the time, but I know as we try, we will be given opportunities to grow and become better! It reminds me of a scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants:
D&C 88:63 Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.


Till next week!
Elder Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment